Auto Dealers Detail
1002 Washington Ave., Basement
Houston, TX 77002
PO Box 3408
Houston, TX 77253-3408
The purpose of this license is for a company to observe if an individual has the skill set to be a wrecker driver before being hired.
A Wrecker Driver is any person who drives an auto wrecker and performs non-consent tows at the request or authorization of a police officer or property owner or their designee.
- Application for Wrecker License
- Criminal background check - The background check is conducted at an IdentoGo site.
- Current Texas Driver’s License
- Method of payment: business check, cashier's check, and money order. Cash and credit/debit cards are accepted in person only.
- Call the Auto Dealers Detail at 832.394.4800 within 48 to 72 hours after completing the background check to ensure the criminal history has been obtained.
- Bring the completed application, supporting documents and payment to the Houston Permitting Center.
- Obtain a numbered ticket from the Information Desk and make your way to the basement.
- Scan your ticket at the reception desk to activate your place in line. Please wait in the lobby until your number is called.
- Pay the license fee at the Cashier's station located on the first floor, and bring the receipt back down to Auto Dealers station in the basement.
- The City of Houston Automotive Board reviews the application for each new business including consideration of the findings of a criminal background check. Notice of an Automotive Board public hearing on the business application is published.
- Approval or denial is decided by the Board at the hearing.
- If denied, applicant will be notified by letter.
- If approved, license will be processed and may be obtained in person at the hearing or mailed to address on file.