The Houston Construction Code establishes minimum standards for the construction, alteration, maintenance, repair, and demolition of buildings and other structures to protect the life safety of the public.
The Houston Construction Code is adopted and amended by City Council. The 2012 Construction Code Package became effective on February 1, 2016. The amendments, along with the model codes, constitute the City of Houston Codes.
The Houston Amendments to the current adopted codes are listed below.
- Residential: 2012 IRC Houston Amendments (adopted Feb. 1, 2016)
- Electrical: The 2017 National Electrical Code (NEC) became mandatory by state law effective September 15, 2017. The Houston Administrative provisions to the NEC are currently awaiting review by City Council.
- Mechanical: 2012 UMC Houston Amendments (adopted Feb. 1, 2016)
- Plumbing: 2012 UPC Houston Amendments (adopted Feb. 1, 2016)
- Fire Code
- Residential Energy: The enforcement of Chapter 11 of the 2015 International Residential Code became mandatory by state law effective September 1, 2016.
- 2015 IECC Amendments - Residential provisions (adopted Oct. 24, 2016)
- Commercial Energy: The 2015 IECC-Commercial Provisions became effective November 1, 2016 per state law.
The previous amendments are listed for reference only.
- Building: 2006 IBC Houston Amendments
- Residential: 2006 IRC Houston Amendments
- Mechanical: 2006 UMC Houston Amendments
- Plumbing: 2006 UPC Houston Amendments
- Fire: 2006 IFC Houston Amendments
- Residential Energy: Amendments to the 2009 IECC
- Commercial Energy:
The City of Houston does not have the model codes available. They can be purchased through their respective publisher:
- The International Code Council publishes the following codes:
- International Building Code (IBC)
- International Residential Code (IRC)
- International Fire Code (IFC)
- Internaction Engergy Conservation Code (IECC)
- The National Fire Protection Association publishes the National Electrical Code (NEC)
- The International Association of Plumbing and Mechanical Officials publishes the following codes:
- Uniform Mechanical Code (UMC)
- Uniform Plumbing Code (UPC)
- The American Society of Heating Refrigerating and Air-conditioning Engineers publishes ASHRAE Standard 90.1